Almost 200 residents signed the petition for a safe crossing point on Warren House Road and on Thursday 24th May, Wokingham Labour’s Cllr Rachel Burgess (Norreys ward) presented the petition to Wokingham Borough Council.
Rachel explained to Council the nature of the inadequate and dangerous crossing point and the risk posed to those trying to cross a busy road with poor sight line and where cars regularly exceeded the speed limit.
The petition was started after local resident Louise Matthews approached Rachel and explained the problem and the risks to families trying to cross the road.
The petition has also been covered in the local media, with this story in the Wokingham.Today.
The petition will be passed to the Wokingham Borough Highways team who must now respond to Rachel.
In the meantime, Rachel has supported the creation of a local Community Speedwatch group and arranged for it to be equipped, to help residents remind drivers of the speed limits along this road.
If you would like to join your local Community Speedwatch, follow these instructions.
1. Go to www.communityspeedwatch.org
2. Click on the [Register] tab.
3. Then to the left, click on [Join Existing Group].
4. Choose [Thames Valley] from the pull down and click [Continue].
5. Choose [Berkshire] from the pull down and click [Continue].
6. Now choose [Wokingham Norreys and Wescott Speedwatch Group] from the pull down and click [Continue].
7. Finally complete their details in the registration form and follow the emailed instructions